Get ready for chilly weather, delicious food, and plenty of time with family. The holidays are almost here. AAA estimates that more than 109 million people will travel 50+ miles this holiday season. Whether you’re staying local or you’re one of the millions traveling, follow these tips to keep you and your family safe.
- Plan Ahead
- Before you leave to go on vacation, make sure your car is in good shape to travel. It’s also important to check the weather forecast of where you’re going and ensure that the roads are safe to drive on.
- Stay Alert
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that every year about 100,000 police-reported, drowsy-driving crashes result in nearly 800 fatalities and about 50,000 injuries. Book a hotel/Airbnb in advance so you’re not drowsy while driving.
- Don’t Drink and Drive
- If you’re going to a holiday party that includes alcohol and you plan to drink, make it a plan not to drive. Make sure you have a designated driver or call an Uber, Lift, or Taxi.
- Watch Your Speed
- Drive to the conditions. Give yourself plenty of time to react to the traffic around you. Make sure you’re accelerating and decelerating slowly and avoid using cruise control in wintry conditions.
- Keep Your Loved Ones Informed
- Share your travel plans and route with someone before you leave. In case you break down where there’s no service or get into an accident, your loved ones will know where you are.
The holidays are the busiest time of the year to travel and we want you to remain safe. Please be mindful of your actions and think of your own safety, as well as those around you.
If you become involved in a car accident, it is important you seek counsel and representation from an attorney experienced in vehicular crashes. Let our team help you navigate the long road after a crash so you can focus on healing. Reach out to us online or call us at 1-800-CALL-LEE today if you have been in a car accident.